The high fiber cereals of years ago offered little taste for the nutritional benefit they provided. Today, that has changed and you can get a great tasting cereal that is also a good fiber source.
Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet. Not only does it aid in weight loss by helping you feel full and satisfied longer, it also helps reduce risks of heart disease, lowers blood pressure, and aids in blood sugar control. Many people need more fiber in their diet and breakfast cereal provides a great option for maximizing your daily intake by getting the day started with a fiber rich meal.
Consumer Reports tested eighteen high-fiber cereals which each contained 25 to 50 percent of the recommended dietary guidelines for fiber (based on a 2,000-calorie diet). Here are seven top tasting high fiber cereals that you may want to include in your breakfast meal planning to help you meet your daily fiber intake requirements.
- Kirkland Signature Spiced Pecan – This cereal is sold at Kashi GoLean Crunchy Fiber Twigs, Soy Protein Grahams and Honey Puffs – This cereal is a top rated nutritional value for price cereal offering 10 grams of fiber in a serving size slightly larger than the Kirkland cereal at a slightly lower price of $.13/serving.
- Archer Farms High Fiber – This cereal is sold at Target and offers a sweet crunch with toasted grains and a cinnamon taste along with 10 grams of fiber/serving.
- Kellogg's Raisin Bran Extra! – Offering 7 grams of fiber/servings, this cereal provides a balance of sweet and crunch from tender raisins and cranberries along with nutty wheat flakes and clusters.
- Post Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Wheat 'n Bran – Offers 8 grams of fiber/serving in a nutty grain cereal with unsweetened toasted wheat.
- Great Value Raisin Bran – This cereal is sold at Walmart and great for those that like the plain raisin bran they have always known and loved.
- Barbara's Bakery Ultimate Organic – This cereal provides an organic option which rated well for nutrition and taste.
Have you tried any of the cereals and if you have, which one is your personal favorite? If you have not, will you give one of them a try now – why or why not?
You will earn 5 SparkPoints