LESLIELENORE
500,000-749,999 SparkPoints 733,246
SparkPoints
 

The fire and its aftermath

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Two days ago we had a fire at my dad’s house. It started as a chimney fire but it got too good of a start before we noticed it to be able to put it out with the four fire extinguishers dad used on it. So we had to call 911 for the fire department to come out. We ended up with fire fighters from four fire companies here. As you can see we had so many fire fighters here that some of them were able to just stand around. It took an hour to get everything done and out and another half hour before we were allowed inside the house. Of course everything was covered in fire extinguisher dust and smoke residue, but there was very minimal water damage. Once the house was ventilated we started cleaning... every-freaking-thing. Starting with dad’s computer area and piano, and moving out from there to the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, and the rest of the living room. For the past two days my brother, Jeremy, and his daughter, Tigan, having been working hard from breakfast to dark rebuilding that corner of the living room, and finally rebuilding the chimney pipe. My job in all of this was mainly cleaning and dog wrangling, so that the dogs didn’t bother them while Jeremy and Tigan were so busy. I have spent a fair amount of time walking the dogs, even though it has been really cold and yesterday it snowed. Of course, dad heats primarily with the wood stove, so the house has been positively arctic for the past two days with no functioning wood stove. Today the repairs to the house and chimney are tentatively finished. And we have a fire started, just barely. I think panic counts as cardio with such a drastic increase in heart rate! And all the deep cleaning I am counting too. (and shivering burns calories!) we should be just about back to what passes for normal these days by tomorrow. Wherever you are in the world I hope you have a marvelous day
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • BJAEGER307
    First of all, I am so happy to read that your Dad and you, plus furbabies are okay. Also that the damage was able to be repaired in a short time. I am glad that you, your brother and niece are there for your Dad.

    During through all of this keep as safe as you can, and hopefully things will get back to "normal" once again.
    111 days ago
  • GARDENCHRIS
    so glad no major damage and that every one is safe
    111 days ago
  • GAILMARYFRANCES
    Glad all of you are safe and that you have a close-knit family, Thanks for sharing and giving an opportunity to send some supportive thoughts your way.
    112 days ago
  • RUFFIT
    Glad everyone was OK. Stay safe and warm!! emoticon
    112 days ago
  • CHERIRIDDELL
    I am so glad you are fine and that everything is restored !
    112 days ago
  • DIANEDOESSMILES
    WOW Chandra!! My heart LEAPED WAY UP Into my chest when I saw that picture!! YO!!

    I can't believe how fast the house is functional again. AMAZING!! Now that's FAMILY LOVE helping out. AMAZING indeed!!


    112 days ago
  • DBEAU57
    I'm so glad you and your family are all safe. And it's amazing to me that everyone in your family has the talent to do so much to help repair the house!
    112 days ago
  • WIZARDHOWL
    How scary! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so glad that the fire fighters were able to get it out quickly and that you have minimal damage.
    112 days ago
  • JEANKNEE
    Goodness, Leslie!

    Glad you and your dad are okay. Been there! It is scary. And, not that my opinion matters; but, yes, panic counts as cardio. emoticon

    The smoke gets into absolutely everything. I know the cleanup is WORK. Happy to hear that all of you have made such quick work of getting the house functional.

    One of my siblings used to heat their home with a wood stove. They had issues with it and no heat for ??? and you could see your breath in their house. Like you said, "positively arctic".

    emoticon
    112 days ago
  • MIRELICA
    Oh, scary moments! emoticon
    112 days ago
  • JRDUPREE
    Thankful you are all safe and the house was able to be repaired so quickly, your brother being able to do the work saved a lot of time waiting for a construction crew.
    emoticon emoticon
    112 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.
 

More Blogs by LESLIELENORE