In this recipe, pineapple replaces some of the sugar for natural sweetness, and egg whites are used in place of condensed milk for a lighter and healthier macaroon.
Gluten-Free 'Almond Joy' Macaroons
Number of Servings: 30
1/3 cup unsweetened crushed Pineapple, well drained
1 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup liquid or fresh Egg Whites (about 5 large whites)
2 tablespoons Cornstarch
Pinch of Salt
1/2 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
30 whole Almonds
1/4 cup semisweet Chocolate Chips
1. Mix pineapple, coconut, sugar, egg whites, cornstarch and salt into a med saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 5 to 6 minutes, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick like oatmeal.
2. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Coat a baking sheet with pan spray or line with a silicone baking mat.
5. Scoop out tablespoon-sized balls of the mixture.
6. Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet about 1/2-inch apart.
7. Press an almond into the top of each cookie.
8. Bake about 20 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown.
9. Halfway through the baking time, rotate the pan for even baking.
10. Cool the cookies for about 1 hour.
11. Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
12. Spoon the melted chocolate over the cookies in a zigzag pattern.
13. Allow the chocolate to harden.
14. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Your Spark Neighbor, Dolly