Why I Want Independence from Excess Weight
Sunday, July 04, 2010
I have been slip-sliding badly this year. After a year of doctor visits trying to unravel a knee issue, I had arthroscopic surgery to look in the knee and try to correct the problem that did not show on an MRI. The issues impacted my exercise and mobility and then bad eating followed. I gave it a lot of thought today. I seem to be able to stick to my plan for several days or even weeks BUT to get the results I want I need consistency long term. I decided it was time to remember why I want a healthy lifestyle:
1. I want to have an active life for as long as I possibly can. I read in a book about being younger next year that exercise and good diet can lead to vitality as you age. I have seen it, I believe it. I certainly have seen the opposite too - folks growing older way before their time do to sedentary lifestyles.
2. I want to avoid illness. Family history is full of diabetes and heart issues
3. I want to keep up with my husband who is an endurance triathlete
4. I want to set a good example for my son who does not take care of his body.
5. I want to wear and look good in stylish clothes.
6. I want to easily make wearable art (smaller clothes are easier to cut out and sew and take fewer materials)
7. Extra weight feels bad - harder to move around and leads to having to fight to not feel bad about myself as a person
8. I want to ease the strain on my joints.
9. I want to fit into airplane seats and seat belts
10. I want to be able to buy clothes wherever I am (DH did forget my suitcase on a trip last year and I was lucky at the time to be able to buy enough to wear that weekend - I can't do that when plus sized)
11. I feel good and have energy when I make good lifestyle choices.
I hope I can keep adding to this list. I think my motivation flags when I forget why I want to keep up the effort. I need to remember all the reasons.
Another one I thought of on 7/5
12. Bath towels fit around me better when I am thinner